Body Condition Score
A Body Condition Score is an essential mediator of the weight a dog will eventually reach. A dog’s score is a reflection of the amount of muscle build and fat deposition around its skeletal frame. Significant excess or deficiency of these core body tissues can cause two dogs of the same breed with similar size dimensions and build to differ significantly in weight. Additionally, nutritional variations during key developmental stages can have an impact on a dog’s ultimate body size and weight.
How It Works
Our weight-predictive algorithm has been developed and calibrated using a combination of important elements:
- The published weight ranges of more than 200 purebred dog breeds.
- The observed weights of more than 100,000 client-owned purebred dogs, each with an ideal Body Condition Score.
- Dog breeds identified by Wisdom Panel that reflects a dog's true heritage and genetic complexity.
- A genetic algorithm developed and optimized using observed mixed-breed dog data that serves to weight the real contribution of each set of chromosomal genetic markers to the final predicted weight of an adult dog.
- The observed weights of over 800 mixed-breed dogs of varied backgrounds.